What is a Detoxifying Massage with Cupping?
A one hour Detoxifying full body Massage with Cupping facilitates the removal of metabolic wastes, excess water, toxins, bacteria, large protein molecules and foreign substances from tissue. It comprises of a combination of specialised Swedish massage techniques, Manual Lymphatic Drainage, Cupping Therapy and Cupping Massage and is a perfect health-boosting treatment.
What is Involved?
- A Full Body Swedish Massage including specialised techniques to the backs of the thighs which accelerates the growth and repair of tissues by providing rapid, short-duration pulses deep within. This heavily increases blood flow to the area as well as relaxing the thickened connective tissue and fascia, breaking down of adhesions, increased lymphatic circulation to assist in toxin removal, elongating muscle fibres and reducing the appearance of cellulite. A Neal’s Yard Remedies’ organic massage oil specifically for detoxing the body is used.
- A Full Body Manual Lymphatic Drainage Treatment to boost detoxification by stimulating waste and excess water removal (see tab Manual Lymphatic Drainage);
- Cupping Massage using silicone cups to the back, neck, shoulders and the back of the legs (see below);
- Static Cupping Therapy using Korean polycarbonate cups to the back, neck, shoulders, hips and back of thighs (see below); and
- An application of Neal’s Yard Remedies’ Frankincense Toning Body Cream which “deeply nourishes for softer, firmer skin. Restores suppleness, texture and tone” to the back of thighs.
What is Cupping?
Cupping Therapy is one of the most ancient therapies that managed to survive until the present day. It was developed more than 3,000 years ago in different parts of the globe, starting in Egypt and China, two very powerful cultures of that time. Later, in Greece, Hippocrates also described the use of Cupping in his practice. After that Cupping spread throughout the European and Asian continents.
In the past Cupping was used to cure all kinds of diseases, including fever, digestive conditions, gynaecological issues and skin problems. Nowadays, Cupping Therapy is mostly useful with musculoskeletal diseases, especially those of the back, neck and shoulders and proximity (ie hips). Cupping can also effectively treat headaches and stress due to the deep muscle relaxation effects it provides. It is also still popular and effective with the treatment of flu, coughs and respiratory diseases.
Recently it became a very popular treatment in sports medicine due to its high efficiency in muscle recovery. The classic bluish circles could be seen in abundance on swimmers and athletes during the Olympic Games. Just 5 minutes of Cupping Therapy is said to be the equivalent of a 30 minute Deep Tissue Massage.
How Does Cupping Work?
According to Chinese medicine theory, the human body is a network of channels called meridians. In these meridians flow qi (pronounced ‘chee’) (energy) and blood that supply energy and nourishment to every tiny part of the body. Once the meridian is blocked or stagnated (for any reason), pain appears there and toxins start to accumulate in the blocked area. Cupping removes this blockage, re-establishes the good flow of energy and nourishment and allows it to reach its destination. In addition, it helps to clear the already accumulated toxins in the treated area.
Now for the Western interpretation: Oxygen and nutrients reach all body cells with the blood flow. On the other hand, lactic acid and carbon dioxide produced by our cells (the so called cell waste), are cleared also by a good and healthy blood flow. When tissue is overloaded or injured, adhesions occur there. This leads to limited motion, pain and reduction of blood flow. Limited blood flow causes an insufficient supply of oxygen and nutrients and cell waste accumulation. Cupping stretches out the muscle fascia, removes adhesions and relieves the motion of the tissues. Likewise it helps to pull out the accumulated cell’s waste from the deeper layers. At the same time, Cupping also significantly improves circulation and increases fresh blood flow to the treated area, where the cells start to get a fresh supply of oxygen and nutrients. This way cell metabolism is re-established, pain is reduced and the tissue gradually heals. In addition, the bruises caused by Cupping trigger certain immune responses that helps to deal with flu and respiratory diseases.
A one hour full body Detoxifying Massage with Cupping costs £75.
Warning: Cupping Therapy can most likely cause bluish, circular bruising that can vary in intensity and can be visible for anything up to 15 days (individual healing times can vary greatly). Please bear this in mind when booking this treatment – Cupping Therapy just before wearing an off-the-shoulder dress may not be the best idea (unless you are aiming for a Celebrity look!)!
Please note: All massage treatments are totally safe and complementary (it does not replace medical treatment) but there are some physical conditions which could be contra-indicatory to massage. If you are being treated by a G.P. or other medical professional for anything please let me know in advance.