What is Reflexology?
Reflexology is a form of natural, holistic therapy based on the discovery that there are points on the feet and hands which correspond to organs, systems and structures within the entire body. This corresponding relationship is called a “reflex”. A reflex is when a stimulation at one point brings about a response in another point or area. In Reflexology, by using special pressure techniques to stimulate the points on the feet and hands, imbalances in the tissues, organs and systems of the body can be both detected and effectively treated to restore balance and well-being.
There are many benefits of receiving a Reflexology treatment including the following:-
- it helps you to relax;
- it cleanses and detoxifies the body as toxins are broken down and released into the system;
- it helps promote energy flow in the body;
- it helps release endorphins which are the body’s mood-lifting and pain-killing hormones that are released from the pituitary gland;
- it helps the release of seratonin from the brain, which is a substance that helps to lift the mood and is found in anti-depressant drugs;
- muslce tone is improved;
- the body is encouraged to heal;
- it gives the feeling of well-being;
- mental stress is reduced;
- blood and lymphatic circulations are improved;
- it rebalances the whole system therefore restoring homeostasis;
- energy levels may be increased;
- it helps to treat many ailments to restore health;
- it is preventative healthcare to help protect the body from future illness; and
- it helps you to cope with your illness.
Reflexology has been shown to be effective for pain (eg back pain), headaches/migraines, infertility (see Reflexology for Conception page), arthritis, sleep disorders, injuries, hormonal imbalances (see my Reflexology for Women’s Health page), digestive problems (eg irritable bowel syndrome) and stress-related conditions.
What to expect
You will be reclining on my heated couch fully supported with pillows and covered with a comforting blanket. Only your feet and lower legs need to be exposed. Your feet are cleansed using hot towels prior to the treatment commencing.
Testimonial: “The treatment was so relaxing and really helped reduce stress levels … Julie was so accommodating, friendly and genuinely passionate about her therapies. Truly the best complementary therapy service I have ever had and would highly recommend!” Sarah, Bromley
Testimonial: “After experiencing weeks of having difficulty in sleeping I decided to try reflexology. This was a wonderful and relaxing experience given by Julie. She mentioned at the time of the treatment she could tell I was ovulating but I didn’t give it much thought. I was delighted that following the treatment it has aided my sleeping pattern and I slept soundly. I was even more delighted when 6 weeks later I discovered I was pregnant after being told by doctors some years ago that I would not be able to conceive naturally. I checked my diary and realised my reflexology treatment was, in fact, during my ovulation week. I am convinced that the reflexology played a fundamental role in becoming pregnant.” Karen, Sidcup
A Reflexology treatment lasts for 45 minutes and costs £40 OR you can upgrade to a Hot Stone Reflexology treatment lasting 1 hour, 15 minutes for £55 (see separate page) or an AromaReflex treatment lasting 1 hour for £50 (see separate page).
For that added touch of luxury, and to enhance the relaxing and stress relieving benefits of your treatment, why not add the use of essential Aromatherapy oils for an extra £5?